Statement by Sun Hung Kai Properties
Regarding the recent incidents in New Town Plaza, SHKP has a further statement as follows:
- SHKP regrets that the incident that happened in New Town Plaza on 14 July had caused chaos and led to disappointment of citizens, mall customers and tenants.
- SHKP reiterates that New Town Plaza staff did not call the police or ask the police to enter the mall last Sunday. The police did not notify the mall before entering it.
- SHKP always puts its customers first and serves them with heart. SHKP will not under any circumstances do anything which may risk the safety of its customers or tenants. If SHKP had known about the police operation of entering the mall, it would definitely have advised tenants to close early, and arrange for customers and passers-by to leave the mall beforehand.
- According to its Government lease, New Town Plaza must keep all its entrances and public passageways open to members of the public 24 hours a day. The lease also clearly states that the police have the right to carry out their law-enforcement duties inside the mall.
- SHKP fully appreciates police’s right to carry out their duties inside the mall, and it hopes they can take the personal safety of the general public into account. SHKP will express its concern to the police in regard to its operation at New Town Plaza last Sunday night.
- Regarding an online video clip that shows some New Town Plaza staff appearing to be leading a group of anti-riot police through the mall’s third-floor atrium, SHKP must clarify that this was not the case. When the police officers entered the mall without any prior notice, our staff immediately approached them and a police officer then said they wanted to go to Lucky Plaza. Since our staff would like the police to leave the mall as soon as possible, they showed the police the way to Lucky Plaza and accompanied the officers for a short distance before going back to their position.
- SHKP is grateful to its frontline staff for having performed their duties faithfully at all times.
- Email email@example.com